9.7.07

GR129

From bus stop Ooike Loweg (line 83) to bus stop Schoonbroekstraat (line 21) on the GR129 was 24 km. The first bus on this Sunday left at 9.45 from the railway station at Oudenaarde. It is cool and bright when I start off. After leaving the busy main road the GR takes to the fields west of the city. It appears that all Belgians got on their racing bikes to tour this area but only few take the hiking paths. An old man with no bell nor proper brakes gets a near accident with the dog. I felt very upset not having Mississippi on a leash and started arguing with my conscious.

Oudenaarde is a beautiful city with lots of marvellous buildings. The carillon made my lunch after some 10 kms on the banks of the river Scheld a serene event. After crossing town we went east of the railway line down south. I walked mainly surfaced roads but they were extremely quiet. The undulating fields with mainly maize and beets and the interspersed hamlets made me think of the Ardennes. Via the Muziekbos we (me and my dog) arrived at the Kanarieberg where a real Chimay beer made me slightly dizzy but the last part of the track was only 1,5 km and went downhill. I had to wait for 45 min. at the bus stop and felt happy when the dark clouds gradually drove towards Ronse. Bus, train and car took me after 6 hrs back home.

Total distance 24 km. I went 326 m uphill with a maximum altitude at 134 m

Personal rating: ****

Geen opmerkingen: