5.9.07

Sniederspad from Zoersel to Turnhout

One advantage of being retired is that one can adapt its activities depending on the weather.
So, I went hiking on Tuesday the 4th September. The Kempen were said to be sunny with an occasional shower and temperatures around 19C. I left at 9.30 from Zoersel in southerly direction in bright sunshine. The grass was still wet. The GR marking here were responsible for some extra walking. Gradually the traffic noise from the E34 freeway came closer and when it was loudest I entered a huge forest with straight
paths and soon silence returned. For nearly 5 km two horsewomen were the only humans I encountered . There was plenty of time to let one’s thoughts sprout freely. After passing Wechelerzande another wood had to be crossed.

The white-red markings were bright and were so well placed and clear that I thought of making a positive remark about the people looking after them. Suddenly, ten minutes later or so, near the “Achtzaligheden” tree, I noticed a man with an old-fashioned milk carrier, pruning scissors and a brush disappearing behind a shrub.
I met this greying man from Kasterlee who was painting the red-white signs
and clearing obstructing bushes. Similar interests made talking easy. I was happy to have met one of those “angels” who lead me safe to my proposed destination.

With another person along my path , Mr. Swaens, I happen to discuss some matters of Flemish politics. He was very taken by the issue of becoming part of The Netherlands again. His dog took this opportunity to show his love for our little Jack Rusell.
Near Turnhout I walked along the unpaved path on the south side of the channel from Antwerpen to Dessel via Turnhout and so a perfect hike came to an end. I caught the 16.30 bus No 714 back to Zoersel.

Distance 31 km. Almost flat. Time: 7 hrs. Avg. speed: 5,0 km/hr.

Personal rating: ****

Geen opmerkingen: